Do you know what makes the famous poets in India stand out from the other poets?
India is a land of words and music. Every person living in India has a knack for the melodious flow of words. There is authenticity, rawness, emotions, and truth in the works of Indian poets. This factor sets them apart from other poets around the world.
Indian poetry has traversed through the ages of time. It started in 1500 BCE and is still continuing in the 21st century.
The roots of Indian poetry go deep in every language, be it Hindi, Sanskrit, Kannada, Telugu, Malayali, Punjabi, Sindhi, or Urdu. We have a poet in every language who stands out for their uniqueness.
Here is a list of 10 great poets of India who still rule the world with their metaphysical and literary experiences.
Who Are The Top 10 Best Poets In India Of All Time?
- Mirza Ghalib
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Mahadevi Verma
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Nissim Ezekiel
- Subhadra Kumari Chauhan
- Amrita Pritam
- Sarojini Naidu
- Kabir is one of the most famous poets in India, from the 15th century.
- He was the pioneer of the Bhakti movement.
- Kabir’s birth story is a mystery. However, some scriptures tell that he hailed from Varanasi, UP.
- Kabir poetry has a mystic touch that surpasses religious ideologies. It was because of this reason that many Hindus and Muslims intimated him that time with threats. But the greatness of his words did not go in vain and his legacy continues today by the name Kabir Pant. The followers of Kabir Panth and known as Kabir Panthis.
- Kabir gifted Indian literature with the wholesomeness of padas, doshas, shades, and sakhis.
- His works find a prominent position in the holy book of the Sikhs, Guru Granth Sahib.
More information on Kabir.
|Date of Birth||1398|
|Date of Death||1518|
|Original Name||Kabir Das|
|Famous works||Padas, Dohas, Shabdas, Sakhis|
|Language(s)||Braj, Bhojpuri, Awadhi|
|Fun facts||Sant Kabir was illiterate and he could only write the word, Rama.|
2. Mirza Ghalib
- Mirza Ghalib was born in Agra Uttar Pradesh in the 18th century.
- He was known for his Urdu and Persian poems.
- This great poet of India wrote his first poetry at the age of 11.
- Ghalib is famous among the Urdu-speaking and poem-loving people today as well.
- He lived through the Mughal empire and also experienced British rule.
- In his initial days as a poet used to be a courtier at Bahadur Shah Zafar Royal Court.
More information of Mirza Ghalib.
|Date of Birth||27 December 1797|
|Date of Death||15 February 1869|
|Original Name||Mirza Beg Asadullah Khan|
|Famous works||Koi Ummid Bar Nahin Aati, Aah Ko Chahiye Ek Umr Asar Hote Tak, Botal Ki Dua, Aadha Musalaman, Delhi Mein Gadhe Bahut Hain, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Urdu, and Persian|
|Fun facts||Mirza Ghalib never worked in his lifetime. He earned his livelihood through royal patronage or his friends’ generosity.|
3. Rabindranath Tagore
When we are talking about the best poets in India, leaving out Rabindranath Tagore would be correct?
- Rabindranath Tagore is a person with diverse knowledge in multiple fields.
- He was a poet, writer, playwright, philosopher, composer, social reformer, and also painter.
- In his hometown Kolkata, Rabindranath Tagore is called other names like Gurudev, Kobi Guru, and Biswakobi. He is respectfully named the Bard of Bengal.
- Rabindranath Tagore Hospital 6 poems and numerous other novels travelogues Dramas essays songs.
- He was a supporter of Indian nationalism and the writer of the Indian National Anthem.
- There are 8 museums dedicated to Rabindranath Tagore. three of them are in India and the rest 5 in Bangladesh.
More information about Rabindranath Tagore-
|Date of Birth||7 May 1861|
|Date of Death||7 August 1941|
|Original Name||Rabindranath Thakur|
|Famous works||Gitanjali, Kabuliwala, Raja, Dak Ghar, Bhikharin, Sonar Tari, Mayar Khela, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Bengali, Hindi, and English|
|Fun facts||He is the first Indian to receive a Nobel Prize in literature.|
4. Mahadevi Verma
- Mahadevi Verma was a Hindi poet, essayist, and sketch story writer who uplifted Hindi literature.
- She belonged to the Chhayawadi period of literature.
- As one of the famous poets in India, her most popular poem is Yah Mandir Ka Deep.
- Apart from being a poet, she was also a musician, a painter, and a translator.
- Mahadevi Verma received Padma Bhushan, Sahitya Academy Fellowship, Jnanpith Award, and Padma Vibhushan.
You can also read:
More information on Mahadevi Verma-
|Date of Birth||26 March 1907|
|Date of Death||11 September 1987|
|Original Name||Mahadevi Verma|
|Pen name||She didn’t have a different pen name.|
|Famous works||Nihar, Saptaparna, Deepshikha, Samsara, Skandha, Ateet ke Chalchitra, Smriti ki Rekhaye, Mera Parivar, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Hindi, Khari Boli, Braj|
|Fun facts||She is the first woman to get Sahitya Akademi Fellowship.|
5. Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan is a popular poet and writer of India who has received Padma Bhushan for his outstanding literary works.
- He was a prominent face of the romantic upsurge of Hindi literature in the 20th century.
- His famous work Madhushala medium stands out from the other poets of his era.
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan is the father of the famous Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan and his brother Ajitabh Bachchan.
- It is a lesser-known fact that Harivansh Rai Bachchan was an English teacher at Allahabad University.
More information on Harivansh Rai Bachchan.
|Date of Birth||27 November 1907|
|Date of Death||19 December 2002|
|Original Name||Harivanch Rai Srivastava|
|Famous works||Madhushala, Chal Mardane, Halaahal, Tera Haar, Kya Bhooloon Kya Yaad Karun, Basere Se Door, Need Ka Nirmaan Phir, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Devnagri script, and Persian script|
|Fun facts||He has worked in the Ministry of External Affairs for a short time.|
6. Nissim Ezekiel
Little is known about the Indian indulgence of English poems. It would be justified to mention Nissim Ezekiel in the list of the best poets in India.
- Nissim Ezekiel is a poet of Indian Jewish descent.
- Apart from being a poet, he was also an actor, playwright, editor, and art critic.
- He played a vital figure in Indian poetry in the English language.
- The tone of his poetic career background casually was one of his most referred works by him.
- Nissim Ezekiel was awarded Padma Shri in 1988 and Sahitya Academy cultural award in 1983.
More information on Nissim Ezekiel.
|Date of Birth||16 December 1924|
|Date of Death||9 January 2004|
|Famous works||Time To Change, The Third, The Couple, Enterprise, Soap, Marriage, Island, etc.|
|Fun facts||He was an Art Critic at The Times of India.|
Gulzar is an Indian poet known for his poetry and most beautiful lyrics.
- He is an author, screenwriter, and film director.
- He was born into 6 families but later changed his name to Gulzar it became his pen name.
- He began his songwriting career with the movie Bandini. his first movie as a film director was Mere Apne.
- Gulzar has received 5 Indian National Film Awards, 22 Filmfare Awards, an Academy Award, 1 Grammy award, Sahitya Academy Award, Padma Bhushan in 2004, and Dada Saheb Phalke award in 2013.
More information on Gulzar-
|Date of Birth||18 August 1934|
|Date of Death||Alive|
|Original Name||Sampooran Singh Kalra|
|Pen name||Gulzaar Deen|
|Famous works||Two, Din Kuch aise guzarta hai koi, Aadmi bulbulla hai paani ka, HU tu tu, Dard halke hai saans bhari hai, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Urdu, Punjabi, Khariboli, Marwari, Braj Bhasha|
|Fun facts||Gulzar was appointed as the Chancellor of Assam University in April 2013.|
You can also read:
8. Subhadra Kumari Chauhan
Subhadra Kumari Chauhan is a famous poet in India who rose to light with Jhansi Ki Rani.
- She was a part of Mahatma Gandhi’s Non-Cooperation Movement during the independence era.
- She is also the first female Satyagrahi who got arrested in Nagpur. She went to jail for Mother India twice once in 1923 and then In 1942.
- She died in a car accident on the way back from Nagpur to Jabalpur.
- On the occasion of its 117th birthday, Google celebrated it with a Doodle on 16th August 2021.
More information on Subhadra Kumari Chauhan.
|Date of Birth||16 August 1904|
|Date of Death||15 February 1948|
|Famous works||Khilonewala, Hingwala, Tridhara, Jhansi ki Rani, Naya Bachpan, etc.|
|Fun facts||A postage stamp was released to honor her on 6 August 1976.|
9. Amrita Pritam
- Amrita Pritam is one of the best poets in India. She was also a novelist and essayist.
- She won the Sahitya Academy Award in 1956. She has also received the Punjab Ratan award, Padmashree in 1956, Padma Bhushan, and Bhartiya Jnanpith Award.
- Amrita’s best poem is Ajj Aakhan Wari Shah Nu.
- Her famous book Pinjar dealt with issues like domestic violence and the lowliness of humanity. The book was later made into a commendable movie as well.
More information on Amrita Pritam
|Date of Birth||31 August 1919|
|Date of Death||31 October 2005|
|Original Name||Amrita Kaur|
|Famous works||Amrit Lehran, Ik Si Anita, O Gitan Valia, Kasturi, Nagmani, Ek Baat, etc.|
|Language(s) used||Hindi, and Punjabi|
|Fun facts,||Google paid respect to her on her 100th birthday. The Doodle said ‘who dared to live the life she imagines.’|
10. Sarojini Naidu
- Sarojini Naidu was a poet, political activist, and feminist, who along with other activists struggled for the independence of India. She had a strong voice against imperialistic ideas and supported women’s empowerment.
- She was not only the prime face of the Quit India Movement but Sarojini Naidu is also considered one of the most famous poets in India.
- The golden threshold is the first book of poems written by Sarojini Naidu that got published in 1905. The second The Birth of Time was published in 1912 and includes the poem The Bazaars of Hyderabad. This poem is still being taught in our schools.
- Sarojini Naidu who was referred as Nightingale of India.She was one of the prominent feminists in pre and post-independent India.
More information on Sarojini Naidu.
|Date of Birth||13 February 1879|
|Date of Death||2 March 1949|
|Original Name||Sarojini Naidu Chattopadyay|
|Pen name||Sarojini Naidu|
|Famous works||The Birth of Time, The Golden Threshold, The Broken Wings, The Feather Of The Dawn, etc.|
|Language(s) used||English, Hindi|
|Fun facts||She was the first woman president of the Indian National Congress.|
Q. Who is the oldest known poet of India?
Sant Kabir Das, counted among the famous poets in India, is the oldest Indian poet. His birth story is unknown and is often referred to as a mystic poet.
Q. Who is the national poet of India?
Ramdhari Singh Dinkar is the National Poet of India for this exemplary patriotic poem.
Q. Who is the father of modern Indian poetry?
Nissim Ezekiel is mentioned as the father of modern poetry in India. He is one of the best poets in India who gave momentum to English poetry.